Droughts, Floods and Food

<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/opinion/07krugman.html
Droughts, Floods and Food By PAUL KRUGMAN Published: February 6, 2011
Were in the midst of a global food crisis the second in three years. World food prices hit a record in January, driven by huge increases in the prices of wheat, corn, sugar and oils. These soaring prices have had only a modest effect on U.S. inflation, which is still low by historical standards, but theyre having a brutal impact on the worlds poor, who spend much if not most of their income on basic foodstuffs.
So whats behind the price spike? American right-wingers (and the Chinese) blame easy-money policies at the Federal Reserve, with at least one commentator declaring that there is blood on Bernankes hands. Meanwhile, President Nicolas Sarkozy of France blames speculators, accusing them of extortion and pillaging.
But the evidence tells a different, much more ominous story. While several factors have contributed to soaring food prices, what really stands out is the extent to which severe weather events have disrupted agricultural production. And these severe weather events are exactly the kind of thing wed expect to see as rising concentrations of greenhouse gases change our climate which means that the current food price surge may be just the beginning.
(cont.)
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now /

This will change in a few days. Deals with food as a commodity.
http://macromon.wordpress.com /
I don't know about you but they are selling one lemon around here for over a dollar.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now /

Three for a $ here, and 2 limes for a dollar. The high cost of margaritas;O)
I don't know about everyone else, but I mostly grow condiments, but not staples like dry beans and potatoes. I probably should plant more calories.
Certainly, many other counties will feel the bite of higher food prices before we do, but it may spread very fast.
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now /
In article

"Buddy can you spare a lime" .....hope we do not see it.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now /

Also add the increased amount of ethanol allowed in fuel for the US market. Almost all regular gas has ethanol in it and the gas stations do not have to state or advertise that ethanol is added to regular gas. People would not not buy the gas otherwise because of performance issues.
So farmers will sell there crops to the ethanol industry over growing food for the people. And we all know that it takes more oil to make one gallon ethanol than one gallon of regular gas.
Now I will wait for FarmI's rebuttal and wanting web site verifications :)

On 2/10/2011 4:20 PM, Nad R wrote:

Even Al Gore has said ethanol in fuel was a mistake and government action is to increase it. Michelle Obama said, "Let them eat coal."

You got a cite for that?
Hope you're not expecting me to defend Obama, if you are, you have a long wait coming.
Illinois ranks second in U.S. corn production with more than 1.5�illion bushels produced annually.
--
- Billy
On 2/10/2011 7:06 PM, Billy wrote:

For Gore:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/23/al-gore-corn-ethanol-subsidies_n_787776.html
Obviously, I made up the one about Michelle but it's the kind of thing you'd expect from her ;)
http://tinyurl.com/4fuyray

YOU'RE reading the Huffington Post, and you paid a left-handed compliment to Al Gore??? I think I'd better sit down. My eyes must be playing tricks on me.
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now /
On 2/10/2011 7:38 PM, Billy wrote:

No, when I googled it up, Huffington Post had it and I knew it was a trusted source for you ;)
In article

That should have been, "Illinois ranks second in U.S. corn production with more than 1.5billion bushels produced annually."
They and the Wall St. investment banks are his base.
--
- Billy