drought conditions

just to show you how dry it is around here...........
the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:
http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/07/18/news/top_stories/topstory95.txt
Add pictures here
✖

Terrible!
We had a dry summer nothing like what you describe. So the following growing season we mulched real heavy an as it happened we had a very wet season. You can put it on but we can't take it off. This a few years back about ~ 5.
Anyway
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html
Hoping for moderation in some things.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
✖
On 7/19/2007 8:45 AM, rachael simpson wrote:

“Some of my tobacco crops have seen just two inches of rain since April 18,” admits Lynn Carr, of Carr Farms in Newton Grove.
In the 12 months ending 30 June, Los Angeles had 3.21 inches. Where I live, we had more: 4.57 inches for the year. It is now 90 days since the last measurable rain, and we won't likely see any rain until November.
No, I don't live in Death Valley or the Mojave Desert. I live in Ventura County, one of the nation's most important agricultural counties. We are a major source of lemons, strawberries, avocados, tomatoes, celery, and other produce as well as nursery stock and cut flowers.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

✖
And in Central TX we've had more rain then we normally get in a year. I suppose climate change has nothing to do with this.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:55:15 -0400, "symplastless"

Add pictures here
✖
Right...
;-)
Ice Age anyone?

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
✖
That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered a severe drought. Year total to date this year exceeds the entire yearly total expected in an average year by 50%. Everything including the dead lawns are now green. Live oaks in the hill country are still sprouting new leaves, unusual. The bug and varmint population is loving it.
The cause of the drought (high pressure cells hanging in one place for an extended period of time), and unusual amount of precipitation/cloud cover/lower temps (low cells doing similar) is debatable. After "proof" is presented, its a matter of leap of faith to arrive at a conclusion. That's what science is based on, many people forget. Dave

Add pictures here
✖
We normally get 31 inches of rain in C. Texas. We sit directly in the part of this state where four of the ten regions in TX intersect. We are also on the dry line.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying we don't have problems with climate change on the planet? Did you not see An Inconvenient Truth? I saw plenty of evidence in that film.

✖
Yep, that's where we're at. That dry line may move or disappear if it keeps raining...
I've seen plenty of evidence to support that we're in the middle of a climate change. Including the Al Gore film concerning global warming.
My opinion is there is enough evidence to conclude so as well. The basic core reason for me, like so many other things, is the human population is too high for this planet to support. Their energy usage habits, resulting of CO gases are just secondary effects. The basic problem remains unaddressed. Depressing and sad as it may be, only a calamity can fix it. Dave

Add pictures here
✖
Sadly, I think you're right. The whole of it breaks my heart. When I was a kid we had two hundred million people. Now it's three hundred million and expected to go up to four hundred million by 2050. Sad.

✖
There are too many obstacles for effective population birth limits. A few religions outlaw birth control. Some couples have more babies than usual if in poverty. Some women intentionally get pregnant to "fix" a broken marriage. Teen sex and subsequent children follow. Older couples are having babies now, intended or unintended. Last, but probably most of all, the economic system of this country depends on more of everything for continued growth. This means more babies.
Me? I just piddle in the garden, pondering it all. Shaking my head, I go back to gardening. Dave

Add pictures here
✖

My recommendation is to keep the faith. Adjust to the drought, don't ignore it, or not adjust to it. When your typical water sources for people consumption are disappearing, it time to adjust even more. A garden and/or lawn may be out of the question. Don't wait for litigation by local authorities. Assure your neighbors are on the same page if all of you don't use a a municipal water source. Dave
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:45:32 -0400, rachael simpson
It's gettin' so dry here that I saw a tree chasin' a dog yesterday.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖