Dill?

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before. Please advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although as I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Do post a picture somewhere. Dill with yellow & red flowers would be quite attractive in an herb garden. :-)
can I post a picture attached to this message?
wrote:

and
Please
as

NEVER in a group that doesn't have the word .binaries. in its name.
You could post it to alt.binaries.test and then post here the name of the posting in that group.
Several web sites offer free picture space. for instance... http://photos.yahoo.com /

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 2nd year gardener http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html
hopefully this works, thanks for suggestions -
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sstagnaro/album?.tok=phzILVBB6Jexn4YN&.dir/10ca&.src=ph
photos should appear with link above

Please
as
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:44:51 -0400 in
world with this thought:

I've got to say, this doesn't look like any kind of dill I've ever seen, foliage, flowers, or otherwise...
belly wrote:

Doesn't look like whats growing in my backyard either.
guppy wrote:

That's not dill. Coreopsis maybe?
http://images.google.com/images?c2coff=1&q=dill
/bob

Looks like a Coreopsis to me, too.
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:40:07 -0400 in
world with this thought:

Just curious... before I even look at the pics, why did you "think it was dill?" I guess what I'm saying is, where'd you get it? Regardless of what it looks like, if you bought it at a nursery, that's most likely what it is. If you picked cuttings off the roadside, however, that's a different story.

Never heard of such a thing. The flower doesn't sound like anything that can belong to a plant from this family. What did the seed look like? It should have resembled carroway seed.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Please
as
I have to agree, I have 2 different kinds of dill growing as well, so I think you are right about ir being coreopsis. No clue where i got the seeds from, having moved from Southern Cal, to Northern Virginia and taking my seeds with me. Maybe some got mixed up in the jumble of moving. Thanks for the ID, it is too bad though, I thought it really added to the sauce I used it in??? Is it known to be poisonous at all? I did not use a lot of it but am wondering what would happen if I did. Not really brave enough to risk it though.

like
and
although
not

Unless a plant is famously poisonous (Foxglove, Oleander), I don't think there's anything harmful in sampling it. Most plants we don't eat aren't harmful -- they just don't taste very good and/or have no particular nutritional benefits.
Well, just FYI, then, the early leaves of this impart a fantastic dill flavor...for those of you who are frustrated with bolting dill (as mine is too)
wrote:

of
enough
I don't know anything about the link being posted but a search on google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Coreopsis+tinctoria%22+edible&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
yielded:
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/pfaf/arr_html?Coreopsis+tinctoria+atkinsoniana&CAN=COMIND
Easy to read and seems to be used to make female babies.
HTH
--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com /