Dill?

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before. Please advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although as I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Reply to
guppy

Do post a picture somewhere. Dill with yellow & red flowers would be quite attractive in an herb garden. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
guppy

NEVER in a group that doesn't have the word .binaries. in its name.

You could post it to alt.b>>

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

hopefully this works, thanks for suggestions -

photos should appear with link above

Reply to
guppy

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:40:07 -0400 in , "guppy" graced the world with this thought:

Just curious... before I even look at the pics, why did you "think it was dill?" I guess what I'm saying is, where'd you get it? Regardless of what it looks like, if you bought it at a nursery, that's most likely what it is. If you picked cuttings off the roadside, however, that's a different story.

Reply to
belly

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:44:51 -0400 in , "guppy" graced the world with this thought:

I've got to say, this doesn't look like any kind of dill I've ever seen, foliage, flowers, or otherwise...

Reply to
belly

That's not dill. Coreopsis maybe?

zxcvbob

Looks like a Coreopsis to me, too.

Reply to
Frogleg

Never heard of such a thing. The flower doesn't sound like anything that can belong to a plant from this family. What did the seed look like? It should have resembled carroway seed.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

Doesn't look like whats growing in my backyard either.

Reply to
Grandpa

Hi, I grow herbs to sell at a local farmers market. As others have said, this isn't dill of any form. However, it does look like Coreopsis tinctoria (plains coreopsis). You might do a google search on this, or go to Park Seed's web site as they sell it, as compare. Considering how fast my dill has been bolting lately, I think I'd rather have this! mel

Reply to
mm

I have to agree, I have 2 different kinds of dill growing as well, so I think you are right about ir being coreopsis. No clue where i got the seeds from, having moved from Southern Cal, to Northern Virginia and taking my seeds with me. Maybe some got mixed up in the jumble of moving. Thanks for the ID, it is too bad though, I thought it really added to the sauce I used it in??? Is it known to be poisonous at all? I did not use a lot of it but am wondering what would happen if I did. Not really brave enough to risk it though.

Reply to
guppy

Unless a plant is famously poisonous (Foxglove, Oleander), I don't think there's anything harmful in sampling it. Most plants we don't eat aren't harmful -- they just don't taste very good and/or have no particular nutritional benefits.

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
guppy

According to what I could find, it isn't:

Meagan M Eller

I don't know anything about the link being posted but a search on google:

to read and seems to be used to make female babies.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Carlock