Did someone mention... Gourds?

Hi there!

I see that Google has it's Groups thing going (Beta), so I figured I'd see if anyone had started a Gourd Group. Apparently not.. yet. But a search brought up this group and others, and so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Vince, and in late 2002 I began a full-color print magazine called Through The Gourdvine, dedicated to the hard-shelled gourd (any variety) and those that follow it: growers, carvers, painters, crafters, artists, musicians, etc. It doesn't take long to see that these odd 'creatures' lend themselves to a very wide variety of creative expressions.

While gourds aren't generally grown for eating, there are varieties of them that are edible, especially those grown in SE Asia. Nothing would stop us from publishing a gourd recipe in the future!

While we were able to publish three issues before having to pause in

2003, we did attract a pretty decent following, almost 1500 subscribers. Most of those are in the US (California with the largest contingent, followed by Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, and all points inbetween), while others found us from Canada, Australia, New Zealand and even a couple of people stationed in the military in Okinawa, Japan.

There is a new plan to revive the magazine, and I am looking to 'recruit' 5000 folks in total, with no financial obligation to anyone. The basic idea is this: raise the names, and then seek out the advertisers and finances to get the next issue going. From there, those that signed up have the option of deciding whether to subscribe 'officially' at a rate of $20 a year (4 issues).

To learn more, and to see what we published in the past, please visit our website at:

Not only will you be adding to a list that will potentially bring the magazine back to life, you'll enter into a whole new world of crafting that is attracting new people every day.

Since it's June 26 right now, it's worth mentioning that one of the largest Gourd Festivals in the WORLD is happening this very weekend in Fallbrook, California (northern San Diego County). Welburn's 9th Annual Gourd Festival is on, and generally attracts thousands of people, to see the variety of artwork of others, and to buy a few gourds to try out themselves. Welburn grows 80 acres of gourds, and nothing but gourds.

The Festival:

(for directions and more).

I welcome any and all questions... snipped-for-privacy@throughthegourdvine.com

Thank you!!

Vince Williams Editor/Publisher Through The Gourdvine Magazine

editor_gourdvine