Deer fence

Page 2 of 2
William L. Rose wrote:

Well, I have heard of hummingbirds being killed on fences that have colored insulators. The trick is to try to keep the hot wire more than a bird's length away from any other wire and use plain black or white insulators. A length of PVC pipe can also be slipped over posts. Some fence chargers provide a lot more zap than others.
All this balloney about birds. How about children and pets? Personally, I've been zapped crossing electric cattle fences while hunting and shock was very mild. Probably just enough to discourage the animals but otherwise harmless. Electric fences, tall fences or netting are the only sure remedies to keep deer away from plants.
Frank

I use electric wire to _control_ my pets... One or two zaps and the dogs never go near them again.
Children? Warn them. Electric fencing hurts but it's harmless. If the child is stupid (or stubborn) enough to touch a wire once they've been warned, I'll guarantee you they will only do it once!
No harm done.

I've run the wheelbarrow up against mine and gotten shocked.<G> I then have to move it away from it with gloved hands, or my feet with shoes on. It's just surprising and uncomfortable, it really does not hurt.
It's not like getting electrocuted or anything!
I've shocked myself when cleaning walls and accidently getting spray cleaner running down into a live wall socket. THAT'S different! An electric fence is no comparison to actually getting zapped by live current! Glass cleaner is a great conductor. :-P
--
Peace!
Om

I've never seen a kid or a dog perched on an electric fence. :-)

The danger would probably be to people with pacemakers.

Yeah! Let's zap those nasty little knee biters! That'll teach people to let their children roam instead of leashing and caging them as is right and proper!
Penelope
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

"The Ranger" did not catch my sarcasum (sic) - you did :) Frank

I don't understand your logic then. You warn against kids and pets yet give a testimonial of only receiving a mild shock when crossing cattle fences. If it's otherwise harmless that would carry over to kids and pets, too, unless there was a medical reason (pace maker) directly involved.
Growing up on and around ranches in the '60s and '70s, and testing my grandpa's electrical knowledge just a few times, the current used to discourage the cattle (and coyotes) was non-fatal. I can't see anyone increasing the power just to get roasted pigeons or BBQ finch.
The Ranger

I used PVC pipe for poles.
No insulators were needed.
--
Peace!
Om

Put out strong smelling deodorant soap for temporary protection. You can either hang the bar of soap around vulnerable plants, or take a potato peeler and whittle off slices all over the garden.
How effective it is depends on how desperate the deer are, but we've found it works pretty well at keeping the deer away from my mom's flowers in the summer. It didn't work so well around the ornamental cabbage in the winter.
Penelope