Deer fence

I use electric wire to _control_ my pets... One or two zaps and the dogs never go near them again.

Children? Warn them. Electric fencing hurts but it's harmless. If the child is stupid (or stubborn) enough to touch a wire once they've been warned, I'll guarantee you they will only do it once!

No harm done.

I've run the wheelbarrow up against mine and gotten shocked. I then have to move it away from it with gloved hands, or my feet with shoes on. It's just surprising and uncomfortable, it really does not hurt.

It's not like getting electrocuted or anything!

I've shocked myself when cleaning walls and accidently getting spray cleaner running down into a live wall socket. THAT'S different! An electric fence is no comparison to actually getting zapped by live current! Glass cleaner is a great conductor. :-P

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I've never seen a kid or a dog perched on an electric fence. :-)

The danger would probably be to people with pacemakers.

Reply to
Harry Chickpea

Yeah! Let's zap those nasty little knee biters! That'll teach people to let their children roam instead of leashing and caging them as is right and proper!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

I don't understand your logic then. You warn against kids and pets yet give a testimonial of only receiving a mild shock when crossing cattle fences. If it's otherwise harmless that would carry over to kids and pets, too, unless there was a medical reason (pace maker) directly involved.

Growing up on and around ranches in the '60s and '70s, and testing my grandpa's electrical knowledge just a few times, the current used to discourage the cattle (and coyotes) was non-fatal. I can't see anyone increasing the power just to get roasted pigeons or BBQ finch.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

"The Ranger" did not catch my sarcasum (sic) - you did :) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Harry, you are stressing my fragile Luddite ability to cope with my slice of the electo-magnetic spectrum. People used to ride horses until the beginning of the last century. If you were too sleepy to drive, you got on the horse and said, "Barn", then all you had to do was hang on. I think I'll just go back to earth, air , fire, and water, and call it a day. I'll go watch the sunset, and take along a nice bottle of wine, a baguette, and some quark. Just one! Probably a strange one.

à ta santé

PS or Flash Gordon

Reply to
William L. Rose

Ms. Om!!!?, mein Gott, the irony wasn't the only thing that got by your mother.

Pleased to make your,acquaintance ma'am.

Reply to
William L. Rose

Back when I was a kid, I took a trip out west and got to ride an old nag. She didn't want to be controlled, and when I said "barn" she thought I meant "cactus." I never knew horses had a sense of humor.

I'll settle for a scotch. Blended is just fine. :-)

Reply to
Harry Chickpea

I love Irony... Posting to Brits taught me to appreciate it. ;-D

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet