Deer and other pests

I live in zone 5b near the Illinois/Indiana border--the whitetail deer here are prolific, and I was wondering if the deer will eat the foliage of the watermelon and muskmelon plants that I am about to transplant into a garden plot. The garden plot is on a farm in a spot that was in field corn the previous year. I know I might need to watch out for cucumber beetles, but wan't sure about the deer.
thanks, AP

They'll not only eat the foliage, and they're especially "Hell On Wheels" on melons when they begin to ripen.
Well...if the deer eat the garden...just eat the deer. They keep well in the freezer. Sounds like a fair trade to me. It's kinda the "law of the land" down heah' in Dixie. Dave...down in Flaada