Debugging a transplanted rosemary plant?

My wife decided to try bringing one of our herb plants indoors for the winter, simply digging it up and transplanting it into a pot.

Since then we've had a minor plague of small gnat-like bugs in the house, which we traced to the plant.

Is there a way to kill the bugs while keeping the plant edible?

The number of bugs has dropped off dramatically in the past week; are they gone, or is the next generation waiting to hatch in the soil?

Reply to
Bert

In my experience yes, there are more to come, unless you can wipe the leaves with mild dish soap and water and change the dirt. MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

if they are fungus gnats they'll stop eventually.

let it dry out somewhat between watering as they are plants which do not like a ton of moisture anyways.

put a layer of sand and grit on top of the potting soil.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Rosemary is perfectly edible when it's dried so I can't understand why your wife bothered to take the plant indoors. Dried rosemary is not so different to the fresh version that it makes it worth suffering the gnat problem.

I could understand if she taken live parsley or coriander inside because both of them are foul in the form, but not rosemary.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

I think it's because she wanted to see if it was practical to bring some plants indoors over the winter so they could be re-planted outdoors in the spring, to avoid having to start from seed or buy plants at the nursery every year.

Beyond wielding the shovel, I wasn't consulted.

Besides, I've found that it's not useful to second-guess people on USENET; if I don't have an answer to their question, I just move on.

Reply to
Bert