Debugging a transplanted rosemary plant?

My wife decided to try bringing one of our herb plants indoors for the winter, simply digging it up and transplanting it into a pot.
Since then we've had a minor plague of small gnat-like bugs in the house, which we traced to the plant.
Is there a way to kill the bugs while keeping the plant edible?
The number of bugs has dropped off dramatically in the past week; are they gone, or is the next generation waiting to hatch in the soil?
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

On Friday, November 21, 2014 2:17:01 PM UTC-5, Bert wrote:

In my experience yes, there are more to come, unless you can wipe the leaves with mild dish soap and water and change the dirt. MJ
Bert wrote:

if they are fungus gnats they'll stop eventually.

let it dry out somewhat between watering as they are plants which do not like a ton of moisture anyways.
put a layer of sand and grit on top of the potting soil.
songbird
On 22/11/2014 6:16 AM, Bert wrote:

Rosemary is perfectly edible when it's dried so I can't understand why your wife bothered to take the plant indoors. Dried rosemary is not so different to the fresh version that it makes it worth suffering the gnat problem.
I could understand if she taken live parsley or coriander inside because both of them are foul in the form, but not rosemary.
In wrote: > Rosemary is perfectly edible when it's dried so I can't understand why

I think it's because she wanted to see if it was practical to bring some plants indoors over the winter so they could be re-planted outdoors in the spring, to avoid having to start from seed or buy plants at the nursery every year.
Beyond wielding the shovel, I wasn't consulted.
Besides, I've found that it's not useful to second-guess people on USENET; if I don't have an answer to their question, I just move on.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN