Day in the garden

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The birds were singing and the temps were in the high 70°Fs (mid 20°Cs). DW was off to visit with her mother, and I was at home watching our arthritic shepherd, who had been on the mend until Friday, when she went off on an ill advised romp in the woods with our border collie, for which she is now paying for her imprudence by remaining very still.

Pointing the computer speakers out the window, I cranked up Beethoven (all 'Thoven, all the time) and headed on out to the garden where I planted the cucumbers, 2 Armenian, 2 Persian, and a lemon, as well as a couple of "Mammouth" sunflowers, turned on the drip system and checked for and fixed leaks , hand watered the cabbages that had been planted the day before and some of the hanging pots, cleared some forget-me-nots and cleavers to prepare for melon planting, picked borage and mint "weeds" out of the root garden, fish emulsioned a potted hyssop showing some green leaf after I thought it was dead, consolidated a couple of trays of plants waiting to be planted, potted 8 basil on the front stairs, spotted a bramble to be removed among the blueberries and potatoes, put together 3 tomato plants for a neighbor, and filled the bird feeder.

Since it was then nearly 5PM, I blended up a margarita and sat down, propping my feet up on a plastic chair, and looked at a library book, "Making Bentwood Trellises, Arbors, Gates & Fences" by Jim Long

listened to the birds sing along with Ludwig, while I sipped on my drink.

Having finished the margarita, I put down the book, and closed my eyes to listen to the music (it was "Für Elise" at the time) and the birds. I awoke feeling very refreshed, and was back in the garden picking up 4" pots, and generally cleaning up my mess when DW returned.

Dinner was a paté that was made the day before, and we watched our second Cohen Brother's movie in as many days (Fri.: Big Labowski, Sat.: Burn After Reading, Sun.: Fargo?).

All in all, not a bad day.

Then I remembered that it was May Day, and I should have been out marching and sticking it to da man :O( dang.

Well, it's another beautiful day. Supposed to hit 80°F, and I have another chance to make it a perfect day.

Good luck with your day.

Reply to
Billy

Putting your speakers out the window and cranking them up makes me glad I'm not your neighbor ;)

Reply to
Frank

Me to. :O))

Reply to
Billy

Basically, I'm telling you something your neighbors won't ;)

Reply to
Frank

Hope you know more about gardening than you do my neighbors.

Reply to
Billy

Hope you know more about people than you do gardening.

Reply to
Frank

Beginning to feel like I have something stuck to the bottom of my shoe. Thanks again for cheering me up Frank, by reminding me that you weren't my neighbor. This post started on topic. It's all yours now.

Reply to
Billy

Explain why you're trolling.

Reply to
phorbin

Howsa about some plant music.

I must be gettin old.

Reply to
Bill who putters

It would be a kindness not to quote the postings of somebody many people have already consigned to the write only memory.

We now return you to your thread, already in progress:

Not the season, but I often find myself humming the "Apple Picker's Reel" in the garden.

Feels so fine Feels so free Sittin' in the top of an apple tree.

Or the Liberty Bell March, for unrelated reasons.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Wow. Berlin to Paris in 10 hr. That's how long it takes me to drive from Koblenz to Paris, but I don't go 180 km/hr either.

Lots of good memories.

Thanks,

Reply to
Billy

Ah well... Consider me thoughtlessly cruel because I'm sure I'll do it again some time.

I did pare out pretty much everything irrelevant to the question.

My usual killfile times out after a week. If I really want to make someone invisible I use an advanced filter to delete his posts, responses to those posts and discussion about the poster and his posts.

It can make some newsgroups seem vewy vewy quiet.

Reply to
phorbin