Cucumbers supported on cornstalks

I usually plant cucumbers and corn together, so the cucumber vines can "lean" on the corn stalks.
However, this year, because of cool spring and my own disorganization <g> the cucumbers are way ahead of the corn.
Q: Should I let the cucumbers sprawl out on the ground, or put them in cages until the corn catches up, or...? Space is tight.
Suggestions appreciated.
--
Persephone

snipped-for-privacy@underworld.com writes:

I'm listening also. I planted pole beans with corn and many of the bean plants are taller than the corn. This is also a concern because some of the beans seem to have the tops of the corn "closed" and looks like they should be "unwound" if it doesn't get better in the next two or three days.
Next year, I'll plant the beans a week later than the corn, or something like that. I'd hate to think where the squash would be if it were also planted as was the original intention.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

I haven't tried beans or cucumbers yet but consider whether they are blocking the sun from getting to your corn.
One of my corn came up too close to the sprawl of my pumpkin. The pumpkin quickly grew giant leaves all around and over the corn and stunted it. WHile other corn were 2' tall it was only 6". I cut one large leaf away and tucked down others and the corn has resumed growth. It is now over 15" tall (still half the size of its brethren) and able to get sun above the pumpkin leaves.
Something to think about. DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:00:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Yes, IMHO, you do need to unwind. I had to do that with yellow wax beans winding around another veg.
Would be interested to hear if more expert gardeners think there's a problem in "closing" the tops of the corn. Always ready to learn :)

or two or three
later than the corn, or something

Over in the next state!
--