Cucumbers grown in cages

I requested advice a few weeks ago about growing cucumbers vertically in cages while the plants were still in bloom before producing yet as to whether the plants' tendrils would be sufficient to support the vines after the production starts or if they needed additional support. I can now offer this advice to anyone interested for future reference. The tendrils alone are sufficient as my vines have now grown over the 5 foot cages and about halfway to the ground again and are in full production. I chose straight 8 and marketmore and the cucumbers are almost perfectly straight because they hang down unobstructed rather than lay on the ground needing to overcome the soil resistance while growing and in the past, have usually been shape-deformed (almost half moon)! Since the cages are only about 2 feet wide, a person needs an eagle eye to find them amongst all the leaves inside the cages. I was forced to try to grow them vertically for the first time ever because of moving into a much smaller garden.

Reply to
Angi

I have a dinky garden (280 sq ft) and the only way I could possibly get much yield at all is by gardening upward. But ya oughta see my 'maters and cukes!

Bill

Reply to
Noydb