Cross pollination ???

Hi, I'm a novice gardener. I was planning on trying water melons and pumpkins in my garden this year. When I mentioned this to my family at Easter, My Great-Uncle told me he semed to remember reading somewher that watermelons and pumpkins might cross pollinate and that I should looki into it before planting them next to each other. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, how might it affect the actual watermelons or pumpkins? The spot where I was thinking of planting them is a patch about 22' x 10' (and if they overgrow out of that area, so much the better)

Reply to
Zimmy

It's an old wive's tale (or in this case an old uncle's tale). It won't happen to the fruit this year. The only way it could happen is if you wanted to save seed from this years crop to plant out in subsequent years. Ignore your Great Unlce.

Reply to
FarmI

I wouldn't worry too much about that, two different species. Pumpkins are squash family and watermelons are melon family. Even if they did the seed would either not be viable or you wouldn't have to plant saved seed.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

No need to worry at all. The only common plant that crosses with watermelon is citron. They won't cross with cantaloupes cucumbers and the like. Neither will they cross with squashes. Many of the squashes will cross with each, but unless as someone mentioned, you are saving seeds it does not matter.

Reply to
farmerdill