Critters on my Pluot tree

Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie Pluot was all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)
Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all they are greenish/grayish.
Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.
Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And what might they be and what's the best way to deal with them
If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Any chance of a photograph? So far it isn't clear if you have grubs, beetles, grasshoppers or any other leaf eater.

I don't have a digital camera, but they were caterpillars
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid says...

Were there 'tents' on the tree?
If so, look up tent caterpillar.
In numbers, they can strip trees bare.
We usually knock the tents apart before they get too far along.

no tents, no "fur" and slightly different coloring

If I had noticed them, I would have done that
thanks
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Are you anywhere near botanical gardens or a tertiary institute where they teach horticulture? If you take some grubs in a jar they may identify them for you as a public service.

yeh, I could do that. Problem is all of the critters were disposed of and (thankfully) no new ones have appeared. next time I'll take them somewhere.
thanks
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 20:48:57 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Next time take them to your county extension office. http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
Your local will have information that fits your location.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

If he is the USA.

that I am. should have said so originally
On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 08:57:36 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"

His original post said zone 9 or10. I have never seen posters from other countries specify zones.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
The Cook wrote:

Such systems exist in other countries. I am a 9b but I don't advertise.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/research/hort.research/zones.html
@yahoo.com says...

Canada...
I've mentioned it several times over the years and ours is the same as the USA's.

Do a Google search for "fall army worm" . I've had them in my blueberries. They can strip a branch in hours.
On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:22:08 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Check out this site. http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/pyramidal-fruitworm.html
Green Fruitworm is also a possibility.
Rodale's "Color Handbook of Garden Insects" is a handy reference.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Definitely not that. Looks a lot like an upscale version of my hornworms.

that's very close, but I am unwilling to categorically say that's what they are. The stripes look a little wrong and the color is a little off, but pretty close
but then I'm getting old and getting cataracts. lol