Critters on my Pluot tree

Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie Pluot was all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all they are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And what might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Any chance of a photograph? So far it isn't clear if you have grubs, beetles, grasshoppers or any other leaf eater.

David Hare-Scott

I don't have a digital camera, but they were caterpillars

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Were there 'tents' on the tree?

If so, look up tent caterpillar.

In numbers, they can strip trees bare.

We usually knock the tents apart before they get too far along.

Reply to
phorbin

no tents, no "fur" and slightly different coloring

If I had noticed them, I would have done that

thanks

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Are you anywhere near botanical gardens or a tertiary institute where they teach horticulture? If you take some grubs in a jar they may identify them for you as a public service.

David Hare-Scott

yeh, I could do that. Problem is all of the critters were disposed of and (thankfully) no new ones have appeared. next time I'll take them somewhere.

thanks

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Next time take them to your county extension office.

local will have information that fits your location.

Reply to
The Cook

Do a Google search for "fall army worm" . I've had them in my blueberries. They can strip a branch in hours.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Check out this site.

Fruitworm is also a possibility.

Rodale's "Color Handbook of Garden Insects" is a handy reference.

Reply to
The Cook

If he is the USA.

David Hare-Scott

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

that I am. should have said so originally

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

that's very close, but I am unwilling to categorically say that's what they are. The stripes look a little wrong and the color is a little off, but pretty close

but then I'm getting old and getting cataracts. lol

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

His original post said zone 9 or10. I have never seen posters from other countries specify zones.

Reply to
The Cook

Such systems exist in other countries. I am a 9b but I don't advertise.

David Hare-Scott

Canada...

I've mentioned it several times over the years and ours is the same as the USA's.

Reply to
phorbin