Critter gnawing melons

I've got some Sugar Baby melons, coming along fine.
Little chunks taken out of one or two - looked like there were teeth marks. Some small rodent, maybe (?).
I realize that Sevin is an insecticide, but would a healthy dusting maybe keep little rodents away, until I get fence up?
flick 100785

Sevin will probably be ignored by any rodent. Try getting some habanera powder and dusting the melons. I did that with a pumpkin that the squirrels were eating, and they stopped eating it until the hot pepper got washed off by the rain.
Ray
Now *that* would be something to see!
Best regards, Bob
-- "Someday I got to have a loooonnnggg talk with that boy" -Jed Clampett
I once caught a turtle gnawing the end of one of my melons. I gently put him on the other side of the fence and he never bothered me again.
Dwayne

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net writes:

If you can't find habanero powder, try good ol' cayenne pepper. When I was a young teen, a bit of it in an egg cured our dog from eating eggs.
Glenna (who wishes she could dust the apricots!)