Crichton on global warming skepticism

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@PremoveOBthisOX.COM says...

The thread is about global warming.
Frank threw a rather dumb monkey wrench into the mechanism by changing the subject line and posting a link to
http://atroshenko.com/NSAlBuddha.html --an irrelevancy and in context, I think an ad hominem.
I've stayed out of the mix to this point because I believe the small fry AGW chiquitita pequeρo tiranitos require no answer that absorbs more than a moment of my time.
Generally I think AGW types have no instinct for the opportunity embedded in an wholistic response to global warming.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not sure I should continue thread but its raining today. Originally I was giving reference to Crichton and from responses to post was getting answers from a crowd that threats global warming as a religion, thus the Gore Budda post. Go back and read Crichton. Many years ago, I read "Earth in the Balance" and it was perfectly obvious where Gore was going. It's a political tome, not technical. As someone pointed out recently in C&E News, the science is good but the politics are bad.
Add pictures here
βœ–
AZ Nomad wrote:

Too thick to understand too proud to give up.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
This is way off topic and is getting boring. Let's just drop it!
Glenn Lynn
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:42:26 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"

Add pictures here
βœ–
Glenn Lynn wrote:

You are right.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

So much for an honest intellectual discussion. Why let facts get in the way, eh, Frank, when you can use ad hominem attacks? Visiting one's wrath upon the messenger is soooo traditional, Frank.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/15/AR2008021 502901.html?hpid%3Dopinionsbox1&sub=AR
washingtonpost.com > Opinions > Outlook The Dumbing Of America Call Me a Snob, but Really, We're a Nation of Dunces By Susan Jacoby Sunday, February 17, 2008; Page B01
"The mind of this country, taught to aim at low objects, eats upon itself." Ralph Waldo Emerson offered that observation in 1837, but his words echo with painful prescience in today's very different United States. Americans are in serious intellectual trouble -- in danger of losing our hard-won cultural capital to a virulent mixture of anti-intellectualism, anti-rationalism and low expectations.
. . . the third and final factor behind the new American dumbness: not lack of knowledge per se but arrogance about that lack of knowledge. The problem is not just the things we do not know (consider the one in five American adults who, according to the National Science Foundation, thinks the sun revolves around the Earth); it's the alarming number of Americans who have smugly concluded that they do not need to know such things in the first place. Call this anti-rationalism -- a syndrome that is particularly dangerous to our public institutions and discourse. Not knowing a foreign language or the location of an important country is a manifestation of ignorance; denying that such knowledge matters is pure anti-rationalism. The toxic brew of anti-rationalism and ignorance hurts discussions of U.S. public policy on topics from health care to taxation.
There is no quick cure for this epidemic of arrogant anti-rationalism and anti-intellectualism; rote efforts to raise standardized test scores by stuffing students with specific answers to specific questions on specific tests will not do the job. Moreover, the people who exemplify the problem are usually oblivious to it. ("Hardly anyone believes himself to be against thought and culture," Hofstadter noted.) It is past time for a serious national discussion about whether, as a nation, we truly value intellect and rationality. If this indeed turns out to be a "change election," THE LOW LEVEL OF DISCOURSE IN A COUNTRY WITH A MIND TAUGHT TO AIM AT LOW OBJECTS OUGHT TO BE THE FIRST ITEM ON THE CHANGE AGENDA (capitals mine).
βœ–

You would have to be educated in the subject to come to your simple statement "he is uneducated on the subject."
Can you explain you own theory? If you have one!
I doubt you can even understand the subject...get a life
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm going to ignore your ad hominem.
You suggest that crighton is educated about the subject. Please tell us about his credentials.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Crichton, of course was educated as an MD and you can call this science as he evaluated facts with a critical eye. His "State of Fear" while fiction has, I believe, a couple of hundred references to global warming studies. GW was not intent of book but he arrived at his conclusions from his in depth research for the book.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good for you, Frank, a real citation. If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_controversy then, maybe, we can have a conversation.
Does not knowing the values of the variable in the equation N=N*fp ne fl fi fc fL change its' veracity?
If species that we know are going extinct, why wouldn't species of which we are unaware, not going extinct?
Whether you numb your brain on my cite or not, we still are left with the choices of (1) acting against greenhouse gas emissions (and look silly if "global warming' isn't happening), or (2) not acting against greenhouse gas emissions (causing unprecedented death and destruction around the world).
Tell me, Frank, which bet would you prefer to lose?
βœ–

If the earth was cooling (as thought in the 70's and 80's) would you be trying to burn more fossils fuels? A slight warming is actually a good thing,(natural occurrence) it gives more land to grow things that are needed for an expanding population. In the next 100 years technology will completely change everything as we know it. Make believe greenhouse gas emissions isn't going to cause unprecedented death and destruction.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.caenvirothon.com/Resources/Mann,%20et%20al.%20Global%20scale%2 0temp%20patterns.pdf
http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/wg1-report.html
http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_Ch06.pdf
Who you gonna believe? A science fiction writer that lives on publicity, or some nondescript scientists, that tells it the way that they sees it?
Again, the worst case scenarios: (1) Spend what little money that we have left to suppress greenhouse gases, and risk derision for being gullible fools, or
(2) Do nothing to prevent the misery and death that "global warming" will bring.
Nobody has a financial gain, but there could be some financial loses for those that use fossil fuels.
βœ–
Wildbilly wrote:

He is yanking your chain.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

Possibly, or he could be a corporate stooge, or just dumb.
On the gardening front, my two stevia plants that survived over winter last year under two 24" T5 florescent lights, are thriving under 4 48" T5s this year.
Hoping to start geminating spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and peas this week. When May gets here I want to have some large plants to put in the ground.
I've mulched the beds (a little over 600 sq. ft.) and sown rye and buckwheat, which will get cut and covered over with a fresh layer of alfalfa (lucern), two weeks before planting.
How's your garden coming along this year? Is your water holding up?
βœ–