Crichton on global warming skepticism

Page 1 of 2
http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-ourenvironmentalfuture.html

he is uneducated on the subject.
AZ Nomad wrote:

His version of climate change is like the Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code) version of Christian church history and for the same reasons, it sells books, gets you interviewed, invited to be guest speaker etc etc.
David

He should publish a research paper. Should be a good laugh.
snipped-for-privacy@PremoveOBthisOX.COM says...

IIRC he died last year and won't have to see his grandkids go through any of this
http://atroshenko.com/NSAlBuddha.html
Frank wrote:

You don't get it. It is not your God or your authority figure that matters - it is the evidence.
David

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has been caught with its pants down again, this time with bogus claims about the Himalayan glaciers. R. K. Pachauri has admitted the claims were false, but somehow this "only strengthened the credibility" of the IPCC.
Best regards, Bob

You can find bullshit in any science. However, it is irrelevent as it'll be discredited. This is really basic stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/science/earth/21briefs-Envirobrf.html
Regret on Himalayan Glaciers Estimate
By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL Published: January 20, 2010 An international scientific panel overseen by the United Nations expressed "regret" on Wednesday for publishing an unsupported estimate of the speed at which Himalayan glaciers were melting. The estimate, included in a landmark 2007 report by the group, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said that the glaciers in the Himalayas could disappear by 2035. The figure was culled from a dated magazine interview with an Indian glacier scientist who now denies that he used that number. Although there is abundant evidence that glaciers are retreating, scientists differ on the speed of that trend and which glaciers will be affected.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/20/ipcc-himalayan-glaciers -mistake

What evidence?

You're just playing dumb, right?

No. Religions have no evidence whatsoever. Most are circular: bible says god exists; bible is word of god; god said so, etc. That isn't evidence. Lots of people believing something isn't evidence. Feelings of someting aren't evidence.
aluckyguess wrote:

You are not serious (unless you are claiming to be a home-schooled 14 year old) so this doesn't warrant a reply.
David

Because you have no evidence.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Not at all but I am not going to start in with a 500 pages book. My reply was about the method of forming your views and understanding not about the evidence itself. The Buddha/Gore joke suggests that the matter is religious - I was saying that it shouldn't be.
David

In other words, you have no evidence.

By your standards, neither do you. The facts are in dispute, however the preponderance of scientist agree that it appears that the planet is warming (at least in part) because of our use of fossil fuels, and the large herds of cattle being raised for human consumption(methane). Whatever the cause, more methane is being released as the arctic tundra warms up, which will only accelerate global warming. If the oceans warm a bit more, frozen methane anhydride will be released, and global warming will accelerate again.
OK, this is speculation from some of the world's best minds. They could be wrong, but, then again, they could be right. It seems that the wise man, given a choice of looking foolish or dead, would pick foolish. Or do you suggest that we hunker down like ol' Harry Truman did when ordered to evacuate the region around Mt. St. Helens?
Why do you wish to put humanity in harm's way, without proof?

maybe I misfollowed the thread. I thought somebody was making a claim that god or gods exist.