Covering Strawberries

Should strawberries be covered with say mulch for the winter? It is rather cold here in the midwest, but the strawberries still have green leaves. I covered them one year with straw, but I felt it did more harm than good.
Yes cover them but make sure the ground is frozen first. if not mice and moles move in and eat all winter. I usually wait till the end of december for this sort of stuff
--
:) Lynn

"sherwindu" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
I like the idea of waiting until the ground freezes before mulching b/c the benefit of mulching strawberries in colder climes comes from preventing the heaving caused by freeze-thaw cycles that dry out roots and often kill plants.

Straw tends to mold and rot... Might try old sheets, leaf mulch generally has been pretty harmless to any of my perennials plants.
--
Om.