cover crop for asparagus

I have a 40' x 12' asparagus patch. Has anyone tried using a cover crop, like buckwheat, for weed control?
Nick

I grow catnip in my asparagus bed. ;-)
Works for me..... It' a mint so it takes over. The asparagus grows right up thru it.
If you let the female asparagus's grow up and fern out, they tend to shade out the weeds anyway.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

you will be better off covering the patch with wood chips. Dandelions and other taprooted weeds which are already there will push through, but you will at once dispatch those that propagate by seed.
Just let it go to fern at the end of the season.That will prevent most of the weeds but you will still need to weed a little now and than. Other methods ,putting plastic down,other methods of covering up the isles will cost time/money and you will still get weeds coming up among the "grass" so just let it go to fern which will bush out nicly and keep moisture in and weeds down besides looking great. We used to grow for the Boston Market so cost and ease for "aspergrass" care we have lots of expirence. Jerome

Why would corn gluten, not work to supress seed germination ?
Nartker @ AOL.com
Nartker
I have heard of something called "weed and feed" that is supposed to be an oragnic product that uses corn gluten to suppress weeds. I haven't found it yet but I'm thinking of using it in the garden between beds. Has anyone else used this product?
Nick