Courgettes ready to cut?

Hi folks, can anybody tell me at what length I should be cutting off my courgettes? In cm would be good thanks as Ive only tried this for the first time this year. Thanks!
--
gmb27

gmb27 wrote:

Typically about 10-12cm. You will need to do it daily because they grow very fast and once they get above 15 cm the flavour gets very bland. If you have too many cut them at 2-3cm with the flowers still on and eat them and the flowers at that stage.
David

You can cut them at all sizes including the flowers for stuffing, however it'd be normal to cut them at about 10cm or 15 cm. BUT, even though you maintain constant vigilance, you will find that some still manage to escape detection and you will have to cut them when they reach the size of a torpedo. When that happens, cut then in half lengthwise and stuff them with a savoury mince mix, top it with cheese and bake it in the oven, so just feed that halved segments to the chooks. Chooks LOVE torpedo sized zucchini.

And pigs.
But, since I don't have pigs or chickens- I peel, seed, and grate mine, lightly salt, drain for a bit- wrap in a towel and squeeze out. Mix with an egg, some flour or cornmeal and some onion. Make a patty and fry in oil. [a zucchini latke ] Serve with some melted smoked provolone and roasted red pepper.
Jim

I'm with you, that's also my favorite means of preserving them. Just fry them in a little olive oil until almost done. Then drain and freeze. I like a bit of dill and cayenne added to mine.
Steve

Up to 8" I slice and sautee with olive oil and garlic (or shallots and parsley). From 8" to 12" I stuff with sausage, bread crumbs, and cheese. Larger than 12", they get grated into baking (bread, cakes, ect) to add moisture to finished goods.

Since we've moved on to recipes..... my favourite way of cooking them (but not low fat or particulalry good for me) is to slice them, fry them in butter (real butter, not that artificial poop) till they are bron on both sides and when they are almost done, drop in a crushed clove of garlic, quickly stir to cook garlic and then quickly add bread crumbs and stir to mop up all the butter and garlic and serve at once.

Essentially, this is one of my favorite ways to prepare mushrooms, green beans, sliced carrots, and squash, but I don't brown the vegetable first. I sautee the vegetable with butter, and shallots. Once nearly done, I sprinkle on some minced parsley, and lastly the breadcrumbs (very lightly). Some parmesan is often added at the table.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
FarmI wrote:

Why save the marrow substrate and just eat garlic on bread fried in butter?

Now that is just too decadent. If you are old enough, perhaps you remember Garlic Prawns as made in the late 60s through to about the late 70s? They were almost as you describe except you got prawns in the cast iron bowl cooked in the garlic and butter and the bread was served on the side.
FarmI wrote:

El Jaleo down near central railway Sydney, you would reek for days.

:-))) Well I don't know that place, but the name would fit with the trip I did down memory lane today when I checked out my recipe collection for Garlic Prawns. The recipe closest to the garlic, butter, prawn and bread on the side recipe is called 'Spanish Garlic Prawns' according to one of my 'Woman's Weekly' cookbooks.