Country Wines

Is there anyone out there making country wines? I started because I didn?t know what to do with all the Gooseberries and Blackcurrants I inherited on my allotment. Since then, I have added Hawthorn and Damsons to my list. At about a bag of sugar per gallon please excuse my spelling.

Reply to
PeterGreenMan

Steve Peek

PeterGreenMan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hello PeterGreenMan When you have a 'glut' of a certain crop you can make wine with it. You might want to buy a book on the subject because most of the stuff we grow will need extra chemicals to get acidity in to a level of acceptance. eg. Gooseberries need precipitated chalk to reduce acidity, citric acid to lift acidity in some fruits and also tanin (found in tea) to help preserve I think

2 things NOT to make into wine = onions and tomatoes = vile!

My favourites are carrot, parsnip, nettle, broad bean, pea pod. No.1 though is the pea pod, light, white & crispy and if you have a glut of peas use then young with peas inside (mange tout style)

You most likely won't have elderberry on your allotment. At this time of year elderflower is around and it makes a very tasty aromatc white. but try and find some if you can because in late summer the berries are ripe. This makes a full bodied deep red.

In any wine I always put in some raisins, 1kg mostly.

Oh and buy the yeast specially for the type of wine, red or white is the basic but there are lots of varying types.

I hope this is the info you were asking for.

Oh well (pun intended) you will talk to god playing your guitar if you follow my lead!

Lastly, experiment and have fun Part_No

ps: Can't see anythng wrong with your spelling

Reply to
Part_No

Hi Part.No. I'm about to try something different. (Bird Cherry blossom) ever done that one? just found two trees.

Reply to
PeterGreenMan

Hi to you all. The Bird Blossom is going well and I've just started some Mountain Ash flowers. I've never done either of them so we will see......

Reply to
PeterGreenMan

I've done honeysuckle, dandelion, and elderflower. Most flowers make a great mead, try using honey instead of sugar. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek