Corn Yuck

I had a question about some latter season corn stalks I planted. While the earlier variety did much better I noticed the late species developed some rotting mush in the tips. I donít know if over watering contributed to this. There was more! Small black beetle like bugs that caused a black aphid infested mold between the leaves that also attracted ants. Some of the ears had a big ugly worm in the rotting mush!
Also, how many ears of corn should one expect per stalk ? I got one regular size and one slightly smaller and 2 or 3 more that were undeveloped.