Corn-to-Ethanol: US Agribusiness Magic Path To A World Food Monopoly

Page 5 of 5
Charlie wrote:

How about shrooms?
And then, on a serious note, any of you cultivating any mushrooms on logs? Just wonder how easy that is, whether its cost effective, etc.

Doofy dear, if you are seriously interested in culinary 'shrooms, try this website. These are really good people, dedicated to the education of the true, amazing value of mushrooms. Their prices are very good and I plan to try a LOT of them, as soon as I can dedicate the space to some indoor growing space. It's too bloody hot here to try outdoor growing for the more interesting species:
http://www.fungi.com /
Click on "mushroom kits" from the home page.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

I'm interested in the food variety, and their viability as a cash crop, and the possibly that they might get cross pollinated with a deadly variety. I know "cross pollinated" is a misnomer. Just don't want to get some fungal volunteers growing on the same medium.
I'll check out the site.

Just follow the instructions. :-) Protect your media...
If you want to play with cash cropping, I HIGHLY recommend Stammet's book "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms". It's very complete and has some instructions and hints for large scale growing. Fascinating read and even touches on some successful experimentation with some of the wood eaters for cancer and anti-viral treatments.
http://tinyurl.com/2ra244
It is a large, well illustrated hardbound. Well worth that price. I may need to get a new copy. The one I have is the second edition.