Corn-to-Ethanol: US Agribusiness Magic Path To A World Food Monopoly

Page 3 of 5

it is legal to grow industrial hemp in North Dakota now, with, as you say, lots of oversight. i expect that we'll be allowed to grow it soon in NH & i'll be in line for a license. it's a great cash crop for marginal land, & needs little to no chemical help to thrive. lee
snipped-for-privacy@evil.net writes:

From what I've read about industrial hemp, uses and growing conditions, it would seem logical for our U.S. government to subsidize hemp farmers instead of tobacco farmers. Deep in my memory banks, the "reason" farmers (using the word loosely) grow tobacco is that the soil is too poor to grow anything else and they get government subsidies so they can stay in business. Keep in mind this info came across from politicians years ago, but the question keeps popping into my head, why don't they grow hemp instead of tobacco? We might even get multiple industries thriving. Personally, I prefer to buy fabric for sewing that was made in the U.S.A. which is getting more and more difficult with each passing year as is clothing made in the U.S.A.
Of course, I also think we should ditch the income tax and go to a straight federal sales tax (distributed to all state, county and city agencies), excluding food, housing and health care. People would be encouraged to save as they don't pay any tax until they spend (read retirement savings and college funds). However, the biggie is no loopholes for the wealthy; when they buy that expensive vehicle, they pay tax on it rather than write it off for business purposes, so it won't ever happen 'cuz they must have their write-offs. After low-income people (who spend most of their money on food and housing) receiving the biggest tax break, the biggest benefit would be that all the "underground income" would be taxed at the time of spending including under-the-table wages and illegally gotten funds which currently never collect income tax. In the long-run, we who are honest would wind up actually paying less tax. It irritates me that we, in essence, often are taxed on the same money multiple times. A straight sales tax would end that little game as well. Of course, written into the sales tax law would have to be no future income tax, ever. The thing about sales tax is that we, the consumers, have no paperwork to do; it's all done at the time of purchase as well as the tax being collected at that time and paid to the Dept. of Revenue weekly or monthly depending on size of business. Of course, IRS wouldn't like it because it would take billions of dollars less in annual payroll to record the collection of sales tax versus income tax. Just another way to streamline government, save the honest taxpayers money - nope, it'll never happen.
Hemp: Bio-fuel source, clothing source, etc., and all the industries that spring up around it. If the smokers want to smoke it, let them providing what I hear about hemp for smoking is correct (that is is not at all like smoking its near cousin).
Imagine the new jobs created if hemp growing were legalized so the resulting industries could thrive. Oh, but wait, fabric made with hemp is supposed to be more durable than most others so there we go, jobs reduced before they are even created.
Sorry folks, no current research, just decades-old information, but the questions are still floating around in that anti-smoking brain of mine. (Currently courtesy of mother who will smoke rather than pay her utility bills and whose favorite song includes the words, "Smoke, smoke yourself to death. Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate that he'll just have to wait; I just gotta have another cigarette." Same mother who swears her throat cancer in 1992 was because of a cold rather than 40+ years of smoking 2 or more packs a day and told my niece that smoking doesn't hurt you. But I'm not biased!)
Yes, grow industrial hemp, not tobacco!
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) expounded:

Funny you should mention a national sales tax, I was thinking about it this morning. All of your points are great and valid, but the one question that came to my mind isn't answered in your post - what about corporations? How do they pay a 'sales tax'? On everything they buy? With no loopholes? I would hope so....but then I'd probably be pretty naive to think that would work, right?
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Glenna Rose wrote:

Get your mom a rolling machine, and slip her some flavoring.
. Deep in my memory banks, the "reason" farmers

No tobacco is grown on excellent soil and is taken very good care of.Again that's for the top quality tobacco used in cigars not that anemic sickly looking stuff grown in Va.,Tn, or anyplace other than Pioneer Valley along the Connecticut River and a small area of Florida. Fields that used to have field or shade tobacco on them are now growing everything from lettuce,beans,squash,eggplant,bokchoy just about any veggie that will grow in zone5 are doing great on fields that were once tobacco fields. Tobacco always was a cash crop and will stay that way till there is no demand for. Its a crop that is labor intensive but when you can make clear thousands of dollar per acre people will continue to grow it.

snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

No, but from the air, it will drive the DEA crazy. I presume it's infared fingerprint looks an awful lot like the local wacko weed.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Fiber hemp is planted close together, so that the individual plants will compete for sunlight and grow tall, producing longer fibers (aka bast). Such plants can exceed 20 feet in height, with few or no branches. Shorter C. Indica strains are given more breathing space so that the plants can bush out and produce more flower clusters. Additionally, male plants will be culled out early to prolong the females' flowering stage, boosting THC content. The two subspecies look nothing alike, save for the characteristic fingerlike leaves, and then only vaguely so.

The infrared signatures aren't similar?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Do stalks show up the same as leaves and flowers?

Do you always answer a question with a question?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Sometimes a question isn't really a question.
Ferd Farkel wrote:

Sometimes it's just a cigar.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Ferd Farkel wrote:

oh, groan, and very good.
On Oct 9, 12:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Tax: A straight across the board 10% Fed tax, money going either way (Including corporations) would eliminate the need for any state taxes, fuel taxes, sales tax, and eliminate so many jobs (government jobs) that our system could not handle it, also there would be plenty of money to take care of our kids schooling (lotto's what a joke for education money) And the one big benefit child care, medical that is, Ohhh Ohhh yepper here's a person here that would make sure any child that needed medical care would get it (Not like a certain anti-child supposed leader in Washington DC)
Hemp: Same signature on radar and all other electronic type home invasion, this also includes tomato plants by the way. As for creation of jobs, yes it would create a bunch of jobs, As for hemps close cousin, legalize it, and tax it, it's already a fact booze is worse than pot, America needs to wake up!

Chop off the sunleaves. Cut the nitrogen. Yellowing plants won't show up the same, the buds are stickier, and the taste is much less like dried spinach.
Other close cousins of c. sativa include hops, used to flavor beer.

Hops and pot can be and has been cross bred, and tthe resulting crop produces a plant that not only can you wear, you can smoke it and drink it! Hemp Power to the World!
wawwiz wrote:

I've been hopped up in the past.
wawwiz wrote:

Isn't the hop grafted to the hemp roots? Seems I read that decades ago.

Same book I read.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work, since THC is created in flowers, not roots.