Corn silk

Does anyone here eat corn silk? I love it. It is so sweet. I like it better than alfalfa, and if you're going to toss it, keep me a nice serving.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Apparently it can also be smoked. Never tried it. Any takers?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

yes, since i microwave the corn in the husk without peeling it that leaves the silk inside. it tastes as good as the corn does. i do not eat the brown dried stuff on the ends, just the green strands along the ear.

i cut the end with the dried stuff off, peel back the husks and use them as a handle when eating.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Common in your area, David?

Reply to
Gunner

No, I read it was practised by native Americans. Is that right?

David Hare-Scott

David, its a bit overgenealized to brand it as "was practiced by native Americans'. Many more major pharmacological herbs/plants smoked and ingested back in the day. Yet I'm sure there are accounts of silk being used by certain of the NA nations. Still, any use would have only been a minor aspect in the much larger harvest rituals of which corn was always the king of the court. Really no different in intent than most End Of Season rituals throughout the world.

On the other hand, I believe there are mentions in the old Foxfire book series. Lot of it smoked behind the barn back in the day, I'm sure. Some of the Nuevo White Indians" want to claim some ancient magic psychic holistic medicinal properties, but really there is no secret mind altering shamanistic alkaloids. Still nothing wrong with eating it. Lots of evidence to it being helpful in urinary tract infections,maybe anti cancer, some demulcent properties.... , but the Internet would tell ya that.

So come on, what was..." Never tried it. Any takers?".

Really, you want to know about smoking corn silk by NAs?

Reply to
Gunner

Not really, just thread drifting, never mind.

David Hare-Scott

Don't know about that, but as a tea corn silk is a diuretic, IIRC.

Reply to
kate

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis is general gardening.

Reply to
steve petrous

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topis is general gardening.

Reply to
steve petrous

Glad to know someone else from my internet literacy class stumbled across this as well.

Reply to
Jackie Olund

Same here. I am sorry that we have interrupted your discussion with this nonsense. It's a required assignment we have to do. Please accept my appolgy.

Reply to
dverhougst

Steve, f*ck off, please. You are an idiot ;O)

Reply to
Billy

For future reference there is an alt.test newsgroup where these posts would be better aimed. AND along with internet literacy should be taught Usenet etiquette. Finally you should also be taught to "munge" your email addresses to avoid the plethora of spam available on the net.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

I do not eat corn silk. Sorry

Reply to
holtviking

Get a life, and if you can't do that, learn how to use the BLOCK SENDER option on your computer. If you can't do that, toss your computer in the garbage, you're too stupid to own one.

Dear Whatever:

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on topic, is spelled correctly, or is correct in some other minute detail.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It is held by Newton Fillmore, of Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is currently in a coma in a facility in Riverside, and has been for three years, eight months now. We just could not bring ourselves to demote him without a proper hearing and him being present.

Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished position.

If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.

You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words or less.

You must also include the reason that you think entitles you the lifelong right to hold this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily heretofore unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.

Steve

3rd Poohbah and Grand Mucky Muck of the Society of Netnannies.

Addended by hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net 4/19/2011

You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and lightening, and to, too and two

:-)

Reply to
Steve B

Maybe they will cover it when you get to middle school.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hello Steve I have left in your cut and paste so that you may use it again when next you misread a post. I was offering no criticism to your original post and was attempting to add a little to the information of those who were using your post to further their education on "internet literacy"

I do not use "BLOCK SENDER" whatever that may be. I am willing to read all posts and reply as I see fit.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

You are a rational man in a sea of schlubs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

I never toss the corn silk. My pet rabbit loves it, along with the inner husks. Abd the cats love the juicy cobs with a few odd kernels left on.

Reply to
Pat