Corn questions

I'm growing corn and the stalks are up and the ears are starting to emerge. What should I do in the way of fertilizing right now?

Also, I found ants crawling around the top of one of the stalks where the pollination occurs. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
FDR

Too late to apply ferts, altho you could give 'em a booster shot of micro-nutes with a fish oil/kelp foliar spray. Apply the spray late in the day until it drips off the leaves. Ensure the crop is well watered before application.

At this point, water (via rainfall or irrigation) and pest control (ear worm & japanese beetle are the biggies here in the East/Zone 7) are key to getting a good yield. Once the silk appears, you/re ~21 days away from harvest.

I wouldn/t worry about the ants.

Reply to
TQ

Thank you.

Reply to
FDR

Rob,

On small plot gardens I learned a trick from PBS television and Mel Bartholemew's (sp?) square foot gardening book. Early in the morning go out with a small paper bag and shake the top tasles into the bag. You will collect the pollen from all the corn stocks and shake to mix. Go back and sprinkle the pollen on the silks coming out of the ears that are forming. By doing this you are making sure the pollen is not just blowing out of the garden, but landing on each silk guaranteeing a full ear of corn.

Good luck,

Craig

Reply to
Craig Watts