corn half grown

I just got a cob of corn from the garden, and it looks perfect on on

end, has nice juicy kernels that have a milky liquid and the silks wer brown (have been for about a week) but one half of the cob didn't loo like it had grown at all, I was wondering is this a normal occuranc with corn? it is the end that wasn't attached to the plant, its got th kernels there but they are like a 10th of the size of the other kernel and they have no liquid at all inside..

-- Witchy Mama

Reply to
Witchy Mama

It wasn't fully pollinated. There's a silk for each kernel and if the corn is not pollinated fully, the kernel doesn't grow.

Mary

Reply to
Mary McHugh

That happens some times. It's a pollination problem. Those tiny kernels on one side didn't receive any pollen so they never developed. Either the silks for that side never emerged from the husks or, more likely, a pest ate the silks for that side before pollination occurred. Poor pollination can also occur in plants on the upwind edge of the patch because most of the pollen just blows the other way. That's not your situation because that tends to produce hit or miss kernels all over the cob and not one good side and one bad side.

Steve

Witchy Mama wrote:

Reply to
Steve

thanks, I would be going for the pest idea seeing as I had a bit of grasshoppper problem a month or so ag

-- Witchy Mama

Reply to
Witchy Mama