Corn Eating Critters?

I had a good year with sweet corn, but do have some instance of something eating the silk. What eats Cornsilk? There is also something eating the husks off the corn, not the corn but the husk. It is so strange to find a cob with the corn more or less intact but the husk completely gone. Any ideas? TIA, Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Heh,

I'd be glad that was my ONLY pest! :-)

Probably some kind of caterpillar.

Try going out at dawn or dusk. That is usually when those kinds of critters are most active.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Jap. beetles eat corn silk.

Reply to
TQ

What eats Cornsilk? Diabrotica virgifera (latin name) sucks silk which causes that if atack is strong corn could not get polinated and it causes to you can have cob without corn.

By the way there are about 400 species of pests which eats corn, most important is strict agrotechnic to lower their impact on yield, of course with combination of chemical treatment. Never seed corn year after year in the same ground, then you will see what is Diabrotica capable to do (larvas and adults), I saw at one place like cloud of Diabrotica - horror. It spreads fast (wind, or fly by itself).

Reply to
Displayed name

Still not sure what is eating my cornsilk; maybe the earwigs. I am still trying to figure out what eats the husk and not the corn. Curious and Curiouser... Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger