Cooking Okra

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off after cooking?

Thanks

Reply to
curious

I love Okra too! :-)

Either way works..... I often just steam them whole and bite them off of the head as I eat them.

I'll also sometimes remove the head, and add them sliced to stir fry's or soups.

Reply to
Katra

probably you are getting old and your body is telling you okra is a very nutritious veggie, more than most other veggies. as the other poster says, steam them whole, fry them sliced. they also go sliced in soups.

Reply to
simy1

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.

-- TQ

Reply to
TQ

I also like them pickles in a Dill solution.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Especially if you dip them in something like hummus...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mounger

Or Ranch Dressing... ;-)

Reply to
Katra

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll head to the store now....

Like I said, I'm on an okra binge.

Reply to
curious

How very odd....I was about the same age when my "okra taste bud" blossomed. I usually snip off the stem but leave the head intact. I like 'em about any way you can fix 'em, but my favorite is probably sprayed with a bit of olive oil, S&P, and then grilled.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Slice off top, then slice pods into 1/4" discs. Roll around in seasoned cornmeal to coat, and saute in a little oil 'til crispy. They can also be sliced thicker (1/2 "), then dipped in batter and deep-fried. Or battered and fried whole. Harvest pods when they are small -- 4 inches max -- as they get a bit woody when they grow larger.

Reply to
Frogleg

NOTES : After you have bought a okra, you will need a good method of preparation. While this preparation method is a bit unconventional, it will satisfy all unnatural cravings for okra. Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 bunch okra 5 sticks firewood 1 gallon gasoline 1 750 ml Jack Daniels

Pour a glass of your Jack (ice or not is optional). Take a healthy drink, because this preparation is man's work.

Dig a hole in your backyard. About 3ft deep should be sufficient. To this hole, add the okra and then the five fireplace logs.

Douse wood with the gasoline. Step back, and ignite the wood. Ensure that the fire is on high.

Sit back, away from the fire, on a comfortable chair. Take another drink or two. More as needed to help pass the time.

In about 45 minutes, the fire should have died down. Stir the embers, until there is a consistency throughout of fine soot.

So that you remember this happy occasion, pour a shot of Jack into the embers, utter "thank God," and "Got Yul", and go inside and have a great dinner. Merry Christmas.

(apologies to A. Zelt and lutefisk)

Reply to
BOB

That is exactly how my grandmother cooked it! Sometimes she used bacon grease as the oil.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose