Composting Rhubarb leaves?

Hi all, I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves are posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!
Merryb wrote:

They will break down just fine. The poison is not very dangerous and it is not very persistent. It is oxalate an organic compound which will go into the mix and come out as something else and/or at least be greatly diluted.
David

Thank you- I will sleep better tonight! A compost bin is quite a commitment, and I'd be quite sad if I screwed it up!

:-)) Compost bins are never worth losing sleep over. I've been screwing up compost making for decades and I've decided that I actually like all the voluteer plants that grow from the 'finished' compost. Mind you if you don't like tomato plants in your flower beds, you do have to have separate compost heaps - one for ornamentals and one for the veg.

I have some pretty healthy potato plants coming up in it!
In article

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking for.
Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile? While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing decomposed rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable gardens. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/5-2-1997/rhubarbsafe.html
--
- Billy

Thank you! I'll make sure I work in in. When I turned it this last weekend, I saw lots of worms...a good sign!

Turn that pile! Its not a chore, think of it as good exercise. After turning a cubic yard of compost my arms and legs are pumped! Turn that pile and use all of those muscles. Its like doing several specific weight lifting routines all wrapped up in one motion.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Worse comes to worse. we'll attend your service ;O)
--
- Billy
In article

LOL, I am not getting older :) I need to get a will that states. I want to be cremated and my ashes put in to the flower garden.
When someone ask "Where is Dan?" They can say "Dan is pushing daisies" :)