Composting horse manure?

Page 2 of 2

It has been a known problem since at least 2009. It doesn't make sense that sellers of manure wouldn't protect themselves (conjecture) from law-suit by testing for aminopyralid. In any event, it is best to know where the manure came from, and best, if you can talk to the owner. They may be a lying scum-bags, but if they have been in one location for any time, they are probably trust worthy (at least when it come to manure).
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum
phorbin wrote:

As for the seed issue, know the provenance of your manure. I get it from the horses outside my window and i know for sure that it hasn't been put on my pasture.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

:) what a nice thing to have!
songbird
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I thought of a Monty Python spoof of a Cheech and Chong movie. ;^)

Same here.
Derald wrote: ...

yeah, sadly, a large portion of research done at universities these days is sponsored by industry or government and each has their own particular angle and takes the results to massage them further. if the answer isn't what they want to hear then they discard it and hire someone else to do it again or they don't bother to even get it right.
longer term, actual science and knowlege will win out, but the short term damages have to be small enough so that we can survive until the longer term comes around. right now i fear the short term is overpowering the longer just by the sheer mass or inertia.
songbird
Dave this is very easy to do. Simply go to your neighbors once every other week and get a load of manure. Bring it back and start a pile next to your garden. You can speed the composting process up by turning the pile before adding a new load. Done this way, you will have an endless supply of nutrients for you garden soil. Think Spring!
On Friday, January 20, 2012 12:10:35 AM UTC, Davej wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No problem. You can use either, fresh is you like, in which case allow at least 3 months between application and harvest. Also, be careful not to splash fresh manure on the edible parts of the plant when watering.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?