compost and eggshells

I compost most kitchen scraps except for dairy, meat and fats. For a long time I would include eggshells. I would try to break the shells into smaller pieces either in the kitchen or once in the compost pile. I seldom turn my compost except when harvesting some so it is slow not fast. The egg shells don't seem to break down at all so I have stopped adding them. USA Zone 7 A/B (right on the border in NC) if it matters.
QUESTIONS: - Am I missing much by no longer adding the shells to the value of the general compost? - I have always planted above ground crops so far in my very small raised bed garden. If I plant things like carrots, onions or potatoes is there a chance small bits of egg shells in the soil will embed themselves in the vegetables? - any value in segregating egg shells into their own compost pile and if so where would it best be used?
Thanks in advance for any insights.
Brian

This was just discussed on rec.garden if you can get to that. There are 22 posts so you can imagine that there are conflicting opinions :) MJ
In article

I don't normally subscribe to that group but will check it out. Thanks.
Brian