"cloning" tomatoes

I'd like to try propagating tomatoes with cuttings . I have some rooting hormone powder , but am unsure of how big the plants need to be , and what to cut off to try this . Anyone been there and done that ? I have seedlings about 4" tall , with 3-5 leaves . I have tried this with a cutting from a self-rooted rose and it seems to beworking for that - leaves haven't wilted and it appears to have a bit of new growth . That one has been coverd with a baggie to retain moisture so I don't have to mist it

4 times a day ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Tomatoes root at the drop of a hat: Stick any size cutting in dirt; keep it damp, stand back. New growth means they've struck. Since they'll root anywhere along the stem, you don't need to worry about leaf nodes, etc.

Reply to
Gary Woods

Groovy ! So one of my Amish Paste tomatoes is taller than the rest and it's now minus one leaf . I clipped it close to the stem , wetted it , dipped it , and now it's in a starter cell .

Reply to
Terry Coombs