climbing apple tree

Dear All

So sorry but i am a complete novice wanting some expert knowledge.

My sister is asking for an apple tree like one i used to have for christmas.

It must be an eating apple, and she wants it to fan out along a wall like mine does, could you tell me the type that i would need to look for. Mine fans out quite tight against the wall.

Sje mentioned something called Escapellia, but i have never heard of this.

Thanks for your time

Cheryl

Reply to
baypod

If you are experienced in pruning apples you should pick her favorite eating apple. The form you mention (espalier) is accomplished by pruning. It is used for 2 purposes, most commonly to save space in a small garden or on a south facing wall to help prevent a tender tree from freezing or frost damage. I have seen espalier trees for sale at my local nursery, but it is not common in my area and is quite expensive. Get a good book on pruning & learn. Hope this helps, Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek