Cipolline Onions

I've a friend who was ranting about how good cipolline onions were, so I bought some to try. Well, not only are they annoying to peel, they tasted like, well, onions. I couldn't detect any differences.
Are they like Vidalias, where the soil they're grown in matters?
Penelope

I've grown them here in the Walla Walla valley and "they tasted like, well, onions." When I grow WW Sweets they taste like WW Sweets.
While soil and weather conditions have an effect on onions, genetics is more important. First there are multiple cultivars of cippolini onions, ranging in color from white to purple. Secondly, they are mini- onions, best for bunching. Primarily a cooking onion that can range from mild to pungent depending on cultivar. They are supposed to taste like onions, whether or not they serve a purpose better than other types of onions depends on how you are using them. Descriptions of some of the cultivars available http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=1&subcategoryD5 Bill Moats wrote: