cilantro flowers - prune?

I have seen some messages on this newsgroup that suggest removing the flowers from herbs to keep them producing during the summer. Should I do this with my cilantro, which is now covered with tiny white flowers? I plan to harvest small amounts of it all summer.

I've always let them go to seed once they start to bloom--that way I get corriander when the cilantro is done. But I think cilantro flowering is equivalent to lettuce bolting.
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:51:11 GMT, "Stephen Younge"

Basil needs to be restrained from flowering early to promote leaf growth. By the time cilantro (or dill) flowers, it's pretty much done. Pruning the flower stalks will do very little to promote leaf growth. Cilantro bolts (goes to seed) quite quickly in summer heat. For a continuous supply, direct sow seeds frequently. There *are* "slow-bolting" varieties, but I haven't noticed a much extended lifetime from those. In a cooler climate, it might make a difference. Best to let cilantro flower and make seeds you can use for later planting (or in recipes calling for coriander).
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:24:49 +0100, Colin Malsingh

What an interesting idea. I usually gather the seeds and save for next planting, but *do* like to cook Thai- and Indian-type dishes, which would seem to be ideal for this use. And of course, even one 'gone to seed plant' has bezillions -- plenty to both use AND save. Thanks.
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:51:11 GMT, "Stephen Younge"

I let mine go to seed...coriander seed is a very nice herb, smells a lot better than cilantro, even though they come from the same plant :) The flowers also attract beneficial insects.
Dan