Chokos..(Again)

Sorry Guys and Girls, I know we had a very indepth discussion regarding chokos )and it was very informative indeed, even stretching to recipes), but I have another question?. What brought me to ask how to grow them in the first place was the fact that someone gave me 3 chokos to plant, and being winter here in Brisbane I thought was too cold anyway, sooooo, I just put them in a dish on the fridge and now they have stems 8" long. What the question is: do I actually plant the choko or just lay it on the ground next to the trellis???? Regards Graham
graham feeley said:

AKA chayote squash or merliton. Your winters don't go below freezing and are generally pretty mild during the day, right?
According to this: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chayotes.htm
"The chayote can then be placed in some sandy soil (partially covered). Once the plant shows vigorous growth it can be transplanted outside. Water as you would any squash."
Also, ready a strong trellis:
"The Chayote likes a warm climate and is a very aggressive vine. It is perfect in a sunny spot where it can climb on a fence or trellis. The fruits are heavy and need some support."
So pot it up, and when it gets to growing out really strong, harden it off and plant it outside.

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

I don't know that I've ever heard of chayote before. Looking at the picture on that web site, I would never guess that it's related to squash. Is that one giant seed in the center of it or is that not what I'm seeing?
Steve
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:54:15 -0400 in

yep.