Chives Going To Seed?

Hey, everybody, long time no write...

I've got some chives that seem to be blossoming. It is a sort of spherical thingy on the tip, with a bundle of purple bumps. It is only happening on a few of them.

Can anyone advise about how to get through the cycle to have some viable seeds?

BTW, it is late springtime in this hemisphere, and the chives were planted maybe two or three months ago. So they may be reacting to the weather. I haven't cut/eaten any of them, because of wanting them to get better established.

Thanks...

Reply to
Coffee's For Closers

You don't have to do anything. They'll manage to produce viable seeds all by themselves. BTW, those mauve blossoms are quite edible, nice in salads.

Ross.

Reply to
rossr35253

Normal chives or garlic chives? Garlic chives produce masses of viable seed and you'll find baby chives coming up near the parent plant next year.

With normal chives, I've never managed to get them to produce viable seed and just increase them by dividing every few years.

You don't have to do anything to get them through the flowering stage - they do that for themselves.

Reply to
FarmI