Chipmunks and screening

I put up 36 inch fencing with 1 inch holes, hoping to keep out rabbits and chipmunks. The rabbits can't get in and maybe not the squirrels but the chipmunks elongate their bodies and go right through.
If I put up screening, will they dig under it?
I read a few threads above that talked about shooting the things but I'd rather not have any kind of gun or rifle. I think the chipmunks travel in twos. What are my alternatives? If I spray Sevin, will that keep them away. I tried crushed red pepper flakes but they jump right over them now.
Alan
They could burrow under or climb over. I started trapping them in a live trap (metal screen box trap) and carrying them a few blocks away to a wooded area. I caught eight of them in about two weeks without moving the trap. The trap doesn't need to be baited -- I suppose they follow each others scent trails to the trap.
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Are you sure you didn't trap the same one eight times?<g>
Al Reid wrote:

Actually I caught eight chipmunks and then I caught a mink, which I released. The trap was never baited. Since then I have not caught anything. Either the mink has been keeping the chipmunk population down or the smell of the mink has been repelling the chipmunks.
you are better off figuring out why they come in. This year I was smart enough to put out a water dish one month before the raspberries were ready. As a result, I have lost very few. In past years, I would come home from work to find a dozen birds and four squirrels in the patch. Chipmunks will not eat veggies if water and seeds are available. This said, predator urine works for me and keeps the garden rodent-free. The birds will pull a seedling, but I can see white moths hovering over the brassicas all the time, and not one caterpillar, so they are welcome.