Chipmunk Trap?

If anyone happens across a design for a live chipmunk trap I would be interested. I'm catching them in my standard metal rabbit trap but there ought to be a better way. I'm going to try laying out short sections of black plastic drainage pipe and try chasing them in so I can pick it up and carry them away.
What do they eat? They seem to eat my squash plants as they are coming up. They seem to eat my marigolds. They seem to eat various planted bulbs from their underground tunnels (my garlic disappeared). They dig in my flower pots. They dig around the foundation of the house so that the basement leaks even more when it rains. Basically they are getting annoying as their numbers increase.

Try
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-tinclear1.htm
A wind up multi-trap might work for chipmunks. I'm not really sure...
Usually, a one at a time havahart baited with a mix of p-nut butter and oatmeal on the bait tray will work for most rodents.
If you get desparate, bar bait poison for rat control will probably take care of it.
I hate to suggest that, but overpopulation..........
<sigh>
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Looks interesting. I wonder what the one-way mechanism for the wind-up trap looks like?

Think you could build one? :-)
I had one many moons ago and it was basically just a hole in a large metal box the mice would run thru. (I trapped mice to feed my pet kingsnakes back in High School) In the middle of the hole was a trip pan and this door would sweep the mice into the holding area.
Regular small box traps should work for 'munks, just see if the above bait would work.
Take them at least 20 miles away before release. <G>
I don't recall the details of the mechanism, nor do I remember the name of the trap brand.
Try googling for "repeater trap" and see what comes up?
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page353.html
Good hunting!
Those rodents may be cute, but they can also be a PITA.
I'm having a problem with tree squirrels doing serious garden and greenhouse damage....... The little pests also knocked out my internet service for about a week before Grande found the damage. That's going TOO far!
They are delicious.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hellyou
This is the first time I've ever tried growing cabbage. I don't have a large garden, six tomato plants in four cabbage. The strange thing is, of the four cabbage plants, only one a showing any signs of being eaten. I would be very interested to know if anybody has ever seen this before. I do not have a fence up around the garden, and I know that's my first mistake, but it just seems strange that only one plant is "under attack." I would appreciate any insights or help on this matter. Thanks.

Do your leaves look like lace?
Cabbage worms probably. I've had a bad time with them this year and pesticides don't work!
Go to the nursery and request bacillus Thuringiensis
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_and_Garden-Pest_Control-All-Green_Light _BT_Worm_Killer_Bacillus_Thuringiensis_ME/display_~full_specs
It's our only hope. :-(
Once they have killed all the cruciferous veggies, they will move on.
Greedy little bastards!
Look for green and purple caterpillars at dawn and dusk.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hellyou
Katra wrote:

They look like this: http://www.shireweb.com/bonsai
I put these pictures up on a web page that I put in place to show my new bonsai, and I'll leave them there temporarily just so you can get a picture of what I'm looking at. If it really is cabbage worms, please let me know, and I'll look into getting bacillus Thuringiensis. Thanks.
in article aHYoe.1173$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com, GK at snipped-for-privacy@ameriNOSPMtech.net wrote on 6/6/05 7:01 AM:

There is an old (of course) Mark Twain tale on this subject. It is definitely worth reading. Read it aloud in a group.
Bill
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:50:54 -0700, Dave wrote:

There is no way that you are going to get rid of chipmunks with traps, they have a huge reproduction rate. I have a much better system for chipmunk removal, his name is Tesla. In the summer he catches at least one a day, and has been for years, but everyday there is another chipmunk, mouse, mole, or shrew for him to catch. At one point I had seven cats, and there were still rodents for them to catch. Small rodents have evolved to survive in a world where they are prey for almost everything. The reason they haven't become extinct is because they have astronomical reproduction rates, a small rodent reach sexual maturity in less then two months and they have litters of up to a dozen every month. Trying to get rid of them with a trap is like trying to drain the ocean with a teaspoon. The only possible way to do it is to turn your yard into a toxic waste dump by spreading so much poison that it will kill everything that walks by.