Chilli and Greenhouses

Hello readers,
i would like to start growing chili [Mexican/Indian ones], but i' told that i need heat. i don't have the room for a greenhouse. An thoughts on getting round this problem? Thanks, Michael
-- Yum Yum

Row covers. Really large row covers. Consider growing in pots at least a foot in diameter (30 cm).
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague

Growing where? Northern alaska? Phoenix? Indoors? It makes a difference.
BTW: avoiding overwatering is more important if you want a lots of capsaicin.

The header says U.K.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague

sounds too wet for decent chilli peppers. indoors might be the way to go. Or just select a pepper much hotter than desired (like habeneros) and understand that the wet weather will make them more mild than usual.

Possibly. I was thinkin' that if he had an otherwise sunny location for it, a large tomato arbor set in a large pot, wrapped with clear polyvinyl from any paint department (4 mils is probably best but 2 mils and 6 mils will work as well). I would work as a small green house and may allow enough heat to grow what he wants.
Habaneros are good for heat but I prefer the flavor of jalapenos. My sweety though can't abide the heat, so I want some sweet peppers that I can fry in olive oil and garlic to serve as a side dish.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi,

My thought was that the wet humid weather will take them a notch down in heat. There's a whole scale of peppers. Pablanos might work well; they're tasty. Jalapenos might be a good choice if they are grown on the mild side (wet).
Hi All, You can grow peppers in the U.K. if you find a sunny spot out of the wind. I have grown them out in the open and have had success most years. Last year was the exeption. hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:11:28 +0000, Yum Yum

Peppers do thrive in heat, but there are lots of people in the UK who successfully grow them. The trick seems to be starting them inside early in the season. Do you have a little space in your home?
You might peruse this site: http://www.thechileman.org/index.php It's written by a couple of your countrymen, and has lots of useful links and information. There's a link on the site here: http://www.thechileman.org/forum.php to a bulletin board that has lots of UK posters who might be able to give you some very specific advice.
Good Luck!
Penelope
On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:46:19 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle

Glad to see you back. Shall I plant to send some mint your way when it comes up?
--
Susan N.