chilies

I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so I am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds, I thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into flowers. http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/habanero.html When will I get chilies? Graham

http://tinyurl.com/396rlxx
Temperature night and day seen in above search seems to matter.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Always flowers first, then fruit. These are inside, right? How many hours of direct sun do the plants get? The more sun, the sooner they will ripen peppers. Paint pots black to warm the soil. Soil temp needs to be 21 - 30C. If worse comes to worse, you may need to get a grow light. Typically, in my garden in northern California, habaneros take 4 months.
--
- Billy
W dniu 7/12/2010 8:06 PM, Graham wrote:

Well, you're on the right path: to have chillies you need the flowers first - and then they need to be pollinated, which can be the tricky part if they're inside. You can let insects do the job or you can do it by yourself. Here's a nice guide to chilli gardening: http://www.selfsufficientish.com/chilipepper.htm
Best regards, Arkadesh

Really, not much to worry about. Peppers are self-pollinating. You can help things out a bit by brushing the flowers gently with your hand, as is often recommended for tomatoes, or give the flowers a gentle flick of the finger, to get the pollen from the anthers to the stamen.
--
- Billy
Billy wrote:

Billy is right. It is more important that you keep them warm in sun and don't let them wilt.
David

That's what my DW always says ;O)
--
- Billy

Thanks very much, Billy and everybody else, better go out and buy a brush. Graham www.hutson.nl
Graham wrote:

no need for that even with these flowers, just ding them with your finger a little.
songbird