chestnuts

I am showing my children the ways they can find food that costs nothin
- it proves it doesn't all come from Asda in a plastic bag and give them an idea of seasons. Have done ok so far but don't know where t find edible chestnuts. Any ideas? I live in the northwest on the Oldha Yorkshire border
-- carmen Walton
Hi Carmen
I doubt if you'll find chestnuts in Oldham. I'm in Withnell, near Chorley and we don't have any here - it's too cold and damp. Sandy soils allow them to grow further north (maybe they have them growing wild in the Formby/St Helens area?) but the furthest north I've seen chestnuts growing so far this year was in the Sherwood Forest area.
You should find hazelnuts in abundance in any woodlands round your way, though I think the season's pretty much over, now.
Gill.