Cherry trees

Has anyone grown cherry trees from seeds and then grafted onto the root stock?

Any advice, comments?

Reply to
FarmI

Why would you want to do that? I can guess because the seeds (really pits) happen to be handy. There is always the problem of growing any fruit tree from a seed. Genetically, you will not get the same fruit like the one the seed is taken from. With some fruit like apples, forget it. Perhaps with a cherry tree, you may have a better chance, but why take it? There are many good sources of cherry scion available from a nursury or even a friendly neighbor. As long as the root stock is compatible with your cherry (Prunus). technically you should be able to graft onto it.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

????

By grafting onto the rootstock, I meant grafting a scion onto the seedling root stock. I didn't have in mind grafting a seedling scion onto another seedling rootstock.

Reply to
FarmI