cheap seedlings

Eat it??? Are you kidding??? I don't bother with that, I just apply it directly to my hips and thighs.

Reply to
Chloe

Well I guess the yoke is on me:-)

Except for bragging right's fresh, at 99 cents a pound, I my try that too.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

What do you think your pockets are for?

Reply to
The Real Bev

It's a bit higher than that here, but still on sale. Dad and I are fixin' to start our annual asparagus pigout.

I may even grill some!

Reply to
Omelet

OK, I'm a month late in my response to your post. I don't read this news groups as often as some others.

My experience is that the six packs of starter plants and 4" pots all cost the same at the nursery. I'm guessing you want the biggest return on your investment, lbs/$. This in turn is related to gardening practices, agricultural zone, and length of season, in order of importance.

My suggestion is that you grow what you like best, because it will taste best straight from the garden. The most memorable flavors for many of us come from tomatoes, fresh corn, string beans, red bell peppers (grilled), and carrots. If you like to cook, start a kitchen garden for herbs (thyme, oregano, tarragon, parsley, cilantro, basil, and mint). These you may buy at the store fresh but you end up throwing away what you don't use. Grow it and you only take what you need.

But gardening, as I have found out, isn't just stick-it-in-the-ground-and-hose-it. Each plant is a universe unto itself, with it's own needs and dislikes. In your knowledge, you form a bond. It's hard to imagine the rage a farmer feels when he finds out his crop has been trashed by birds, gastropods or, insects.

"Be careful when you walk out your front door", as Bilbo Baggins used to say. "You never know where the path may lead you."

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

I have a monster rosemary shrub and plant cherry tomatoes and basil. Last year the best cherry tomatoes were orange and/or yellow, but we ate all of them and I couldn't find any seeds for orange or yellow cherries, even at the big REAL plant store. I finally broke down and bought a 6-pack of Sweet

100s just to stay in the game. We'll get 'em next year.

Basil produces copious seeds -- one package is a lifetime investment.

Reply to
The Real Bev