Cheap planter bottoms. :-)

I managed to find inexpensive pots finally, (a nursery in Austin was willing to sell me used 4" and one gallon for 5 and 10 cents each!) but pot bottoms cannot be had for love nor money except at garden centers for a not very affordable price!

I'm using styrofoam and/or plastic picnic plates and bowls now. Got them at the grocery store in large packages for a fraction of the price and they hold up well!!!

Hope this hint helps others?

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Even cheaper is to use 5 oz. plastic Dixie cups. Poke holes in the bottom with an ice pick. Or use styrofoam cups. (Poke a hole with a pencil.) Label them with a glass-marking pencil. Put a bunch of them in a tray. Voila! A whole flat for cheap.

Regards, Dianna

_______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

for starting plants, i find egg cartons to work, also check with nursuries for the little 6 or 8 pack holders.i also use soup/ veggie cans. for pot trays, i ripped a sheet of plywood long ways in half, bordered it with 1x2 boards, and lined it with heavy black visquene. place it on a level table, i stacked cinder blocks and chimmed it with strips of scrap wood. works fine, and so far has lasted 3 years w/o a leak. holds several pots, 2 rows of 1 gal. got 20 on each. looks like any old bench, just holds water. all the wood was leftovers from other projects around the home, so for me, cost was minimal, just had to buy the visquene.

Reply to
rjoreilly