Celery

From northern California:

All the books say celery is hard to grow. I thought I'd take a flyer.

Nine weeks ago I planted four small plants from the nursery and they appear to be doing fine. They have been well watered and fed. Each plant has about twenty stalks 12-15 inches high. The diameter of each stalk is quite small and is not terribly tender.

Are things on track? What should I be doing?

Thanks

Reply to
David Levy

Sounds okay. This is my first summer with celery and I love it. It's turning out to be one of the easier ones to grow. I planted them in May and I'm cracking off a stalk a day to add to my salad. They're delicious.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I grew celery for a few years. I gave it up. The stalks were tender and good but .... BUT .... I kept the soil very wet to get that result and it attracted slugs like crazy. Nearly all the stalks had their inner surface all chewed up by the slugs. Kind of disgusting!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Funny...I was going to add above that the bugs weren't bothering the celery. I'm growing them in 30L white containers (5 gallon I believe). I have yet to find a slug in any of the containers except for a couple of the cauliflower. I don't think they can make it up and over the side of the container (there's a rim or two near the top). So, unless some of the leaves of the plant hang down, the slugs don't touch the plants. It explains why they got into the cauliflower, but not the celery, tomatoes or potatoes in the same containers in the same area.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

That a great idea for solving my problem with celery. I bet it would grow just fine in plastic buckets. Probably wouldn't even need drainage holes for celery. They could be placed where slugs wouldn't even try to go.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

It's working out so much better than I expected. I've been out on several late evening slug hunts with the flashlight and couldn't find a single one in or on those buckets. I did drill three drainage holes. With the potting soil cut with peat, it held the moisture well.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer