Cayenne Pepper in the Garden

I have heard that this can keep the critters out of the garden. My questions are what kind of critters and wouldn't you have to replace it daily? Thanks in advance for and information or experiences.
Mary Jo

It's worked for me against cats. Replace it when rain comes or roughly after 4-5 days, and cats learn not to defecate in or dig up your patch.

How heavy an application do you make?