cauliflower color???

I have a cauliflower that is white closer to the top but close to the leaves it is purple. Does anyone know how this happened? I did tie about 2-3 leaves together to blanche the cauliflower since it first formed. The top is white-white, the bottom is white florettes with purple stalks.

Reply to
higgledy

higgledy wrote: "I have a cauliflower that is white closer to the top but close to the leaves it is purple. Does anyone know how this happened? I did tie about 2-3 leaves together to blanche the cauliflower since it first formed. The top is white-white, the bottom is white florettes with purple stalks."

There/s a purple head variety (Violet Queen) that doesn/t require blanching. Is it possible you blanched away the purple color, save for the floret stems?

Reply to
ToweringQs

Thanks so much for this question and the answer! I planted what were tagged as Snowball cauliflower, and most have had the standard colors. However, I have had the same situation as Higgledy, so I know they weren't ALL Snowballs. I also bent a leaf over the head to protect it from our recently extreme sunshine (unusual 90s and 100s), and have white heads with purple stems.

I guess that could be it!

Thanks, both of you!

Reply to
Deb Hayes