Cataloupe Question

I planted two cataloupes (from transplant) this year. One has stalled in growth and still quite green (must not have composted that side of the garden well enough) and the other is sending out runners and has many blossoms. Yippie for me. My question comes in on determining which of the cataloupe blossoms are male and female. I check every day but I only seem to find male blossoms (blossoms on short stalks). Is there a time in the developement of this plant that signals when the female blossoms will appear? Could it be that this cataloupe will only produce male blossoms? Much like my zucchini I plan to hand polinate the melons if I can distinguish the blossoms. Thanks for the assistance and wish some luck my way.

Peace,

Pete

Reply to
Onyx

It is normal for male blossoms to to appear a week or so before the first females. It varies somewhat with variety. The females will be sitting on an easily recognizable baby cantaloupe. All vines will in time produce both male and female blossoms.

Reply to
farmerdill