Carrots!

I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those lengthwise splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These have been pretty much left on their own since I began spending a lot of time at our Ozark Hideaway .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:06:22 PM UTC-7, Snag wrote:

Google will provide you with many answers from nematodes to watering. Give Google a try...you will like it.
Snag wrote:

The usual explanation is over-fertile soil. Carrots like soft sandy soil with some organic matter but not very fertile. If practicing crop rotation sow carrots last after heavy feeding crops are done before refurbishing or fertilising.
David Hare-Scott wrote:

spring-before-last , and both years I tilled a 2" layer of nice rich black compost into the soil . Had great top growth , and pretty decent carrots . These were a "short n sweet" variety , and they are indeed short . Fat too !
--
Snag
Learning keeps