Carrots

Hi I am a newbie to this forum and I am also fairly new to growing my own Veg. Moved house a year ago to an acre Garden where I have now my own veg plot with raised beds. I am having trouble with Carrots getting them to sprout from seed. I have tried watering drill before put seed down, I have tried putting the seed in a drill then watering however the little blighters dosen't want to grow. I have also tried a couple of different seed packets although to be fair one of them was not this years seed but a packet that had been used by my Dad. What am I doing wrong? Lettece is ok Radish is ok Beetroot is ok etc.
Debs
--
drtj1960

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:36:40 +0100, drtj1960

Check out this site. http://www.carrotgardeningtips.com/index.html
--
Susan N.

Try clearing off all detritus so that you only have raw soil to work with (alfalfa pellets, bone meal, rock phosphate, wood ashes, manure, ect. are fine, just no leaves, grass clippings, or mulch). Barely cover seeds with dirt, and use fine spray to keep damp. Carrots should be along in a few weeks (it seems like forever).
--

- Billy

Sprinkle your seeds on well prepared soil, moisten with a very fine mist spray and cover with a board. Start checking for germination after about a week. When germination is noted remove the board and keep weeded until well established. Carrots are slow to germinate and easily out competed by other things. Steve
I have found that in my warm climate that I have the best luck if I cover my carrot seeds checking carefully ever day at the edge to see if sprouting has occurred. The best cover material for me are: 1. Burlap - old fashioned potato sack material. 2. If not burlap, about 4 thicknesses of newspaper
Keep either of these wet until seeds sprout. Either one will keep the soil moist and the cover will keep the seeds from being disrupted during watering.
Hope this works for you. Regards Jim in So. Calif.